This weekend I was able to go to the stake relief society conference and get me some knowledge. I felt like the theme for the day (for me at least) was the power of my thoughts. Good or bad they shape my life and how I experience it. One of the presenters talked about how we talk to ourselves, good or bad. He suggested we model to our children good thoughts by talking out loud, talking about thoughts of serving someone who may be in need or something we read in the scriptures that applies to the days experiences etc. He also spoke of cognitive distortions which can be very common. Distortions like 'I missed reading scriptures again today so I may as well just give up' or 'I feel like such an idiot therefore I must be one'. We can be so hard on ourselves. My sister in law also spoke on mothering little children and she made the point that we need to be aware of the negative thoughts and feelings of failure as a mother because they come from satan. Heavenly Father doesn't teach us that way. I think that is the common theme of the meeting for me, stay close to the Spirit and pay attention to the source of those thoughts running through my head. As it says in the bible (galations):
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperence"
Anything other than these are thoughts I can work on changing.
Today I really felt like some Cafe Rio, but since I don't live anywhere near one I pulled out my recipes to make some tasty pork, rice and such. Laurel will be so pleased when she comes home. Today I have faced my mountain (laundry) and am coming out alive, and I get to hang out with my favourite sidekick. Overall good start to the week.
 |
| Most of my mountain, the picture makes it look smaller |
 |
| Kate the great in her pretend world |
No comments:
Post a Comment