Team Stephan

Team Stephan

Friday, January 31, 2014

Fun at school

Two days in a row at the school doing things with the kids. I think that is a record for me, I am typically not a school mom. I am the one who asks her kids when exactly they will be appearing in their Christmas concert so I don't have to watch everyone else's kid saying their line. If I thought my kids wouldn't notice, I don't think I would be showing up to much at school. No particular reason really, I just don't have that much interest. I would rather watch my kids at the park, of take them swimming. That maybe sounds bad, but it is what it is. For todays event,  I felt the advertising was misleading. I thought I was going to the school for literacy week, to read to my kids quietly in a corner of their classroom or something. It turned out to be 40 minutes of sitting on the gym floor, watching all the kids in school parade around the gym to show their costumes (grade by grade) and then reading a story with my kids for about ten minutes, then going home. I have to say 40 minutes on the gym floor does not a happy bum make. In the end though, the kids were happy I came to school for them.

I think if my expectations of myself were as low as my kids expectations of me, I would be a lot more content...but maybe an under-achiever. Imagine waking up every day and saying, "all I have to do is show up and act interested". Sometimes the act interested part is optional, show up and wave is more like it. Perhaps when the Savior said that we should become as little children it was council to appreciate the little things and find joy in those you love.

That being said, I have made a mental note to have something else to do on literacy day next year. At least until 2:50, then show up for the reading part. Old habits die hard.

Emma as 'Matilda"

Kate learning a backward role
playing airplane
giving up on backward roles and doing a front roll

No comments:

Post a Comment