Team Stephan
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Nathan's Post - Youth Temple Trip
On Saturday I took the youth down to the temple to perform baptisms for the dead. After the baptisms we took the youth to Dairy Queen for supper. I'm trying to get in shape, so I opted to go to Subway instead, and Matt Jamieson joined me. When we went in the store, an old lady said to the counter staff "I'm paying for the Elders". I turned to the lady and thanked her and told her that we weren't the Elders, but were just here doing baptisms for the dead. She said, "Well your dressed nice in suits so I'm still buying for you". I told her it wasn't necessary, but she insisted, so I thanked her for kindness in buying our supper. While we were waiting I talked with her and her husband for a moment. Her name was Sister Layton and she goes to the Cardston 8th ward. She is a professional geneologist and gave me some insights on the challenges and fixes that the church has had with the new family history system. I noticed that her hands were misformed, and thought about how much time it must take for her to perform some of the geneological work she does. The most impressive thing about her was that even though she was a small old lady, you could sense the strength of her spirit. I've thought about her a couple of times over the last few days. There is probably a lesson or teaching there for me but I haven't quite caught onto it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a nice lady. 8th ward was one of our wards when we were in Cardston. There are so many wonderful elderly people. They are the best!!! To funny she thought you were a missionary, I wonder what she said when you told her you had 6 kids!
ReplyDeleteYour service is outstanding...keep it up!