Team Stephan

Team Stephan

Monday, June 9, 2014

birds, bees and bedtime

We have a nest in our yard. It is up high, but close to the back door. The kids are so interested in seeing in the nest, there is a mother bird who is sitting on an egg every chance she gets, but flies away when the kids run in and out of the door. She is too nervous, or tries to draw the attention away from her nest, when the kids are in the yard, so she flies circles around the yard while they play. That behaviour makes Kate nervous, so she won't go outside unless someone is there to protect her from the bird. There is no explaining anything to her, that bird is a kid killer.

Our apple tree is blossoming beautifully, and so come the bees. They do their wonderful work, pollinating my tree to give us apples, but our dog doesn't see the benefit of bees. She eats bees. She hunts them and with a couple quick snaps the bees have met their end. I love that our dog gets the hornets, but the bees have work to do. Not quite sure what to do about that one, I don't want to discourage the killing of hornets.

I am writing this post as my kids are getting ready for bed. Not because this is the time that inspiration strikes, but because the one great nation is procrastination. I am worn out by the end of the day. I just want them to turn themselves off and go into sleep mode. Why is that so much to ask?

Allison taking a day off school to hang with her sister

a moment every kids must have

No comments:

Post a Comment